Sunday, September 19, 2010

Some thoughts...

It's been over a week since the anniversary of September 11th. I have thought about it a lot more this year than others. It has a lot to do with what my partner said before we started our shift that day.

He can be a bit of a complainer sometimes. And that’s ok. He just needs to talk about his frustration during the day so he can move on. But he's been different the past few shifts. His attitude has improved. He's going above and beyond to be kind to our patients.

We were sitting at the picnic table at the station enjoying the heat of the day. We were having a smoke (a habit we'd both like to get rid of). He looked at me and said he wasn't going to complain that day. He said he knew there were a lot of men and women who'd love to get out of their grave and run our calls that day.

I think it has changed his over all perspective. He's doing a lot less complaining. I don't know if it will be a permanent thing, but I notice he's a lot happier without all the negativity.

It has changed my perspective as well. I've been reminded not to take my days for granted. I'm so fortunate. Not only am I alive, but I have a career I love. I'm fulfilled at work for the first time in my life. I really do love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment