Thursday, November 4, 2010

More Life in the ER.

I’m still really excited about my job in the ER. I’m excited about going to work tomorrow. My last shift was an echo of the one before. My morning consisted of trauma and chest pain. My busiest moment was when two traumas and a STEMI (ST elevated myocardial infarction… all that to say a really serious heart attack) came in at the same time.

One of my patients was involved in an industrial accident. The patients hand became stuck in a machine and was degloved. Another EMT and myself cleaned her hand and helped to prepare her for surgery.




I’m still struggling to find my place here. I’m trying to be aggressive enough to do my job, but not be in the way. It’s probably not the delicate dance I perceive it to be, but I still feel a little out of place.

I think I need to get a little more of the ambulance out of my brain. I’m used to doing everything I can do in the bus, bringing the patient in to the ER, placing the patient in bed, and getting out of the way. Now I have to learn to undo a lot of what I would have done in the ambulance so the doctor can look at it. I also need to learn how to be in the mix of what’s going on and not be in the way.

I’m also experiencing some culture shock. People here are very friendly here. I’m southern, but I have been in the big city too long. I’m not as friendly and outgoing as I used to take pride in. I’m very politely being put in my place for not introducing myself, and for not saying hello.

I have one more day shift tomorrow, then I switch over to nights. I call it vampire work. Collecting blood in the middle of the night.

I hope you’re all doing well. I hope you and your loved ones are healthy and safe. I was very disturbed and saddened to learn that the meteorologist Matt from Storm Chasers died after a suicide attempt. That’s one of the few TV shows I watch. He seemed like a good person. What a shame. What a waste.

1 comment:

  1. Funny how you call it vampire work... Great blog really enjoyed it

    Ted @
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6OlG0Hf5CE

    ReplyDelete